Based on a video recipe for "Michele's Chili Chocolate Cookies" from Food Wishes. Makes 20 cookies.
Read the story behind this dish in Sunday, Dinner for Two.
½ cup dried currants
2 tablespoons Kahlua (or brewed coffee)
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon table salt
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon black pepper
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 eggs (room temperature)
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350° with racks on the lower middle and upper middle positions.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the dried currants and Kahula (or brewed coffee), bring to a simmer, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Using a double boiler, melt together the unsweetened chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, and butter. (This can also be done in the microwave but you need to take care to avoid burning the chocolate.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Add sugar and eggs to the bowl of a standing mixer and beat with whisk attachment on medium speed until fluffy and pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Mix in chocolate mixture.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a spatula to fold in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the currants and chocolate chips.
- Using a #30 disher (2.5 tablespoons), drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes until just set, rotating and switching the baking sheets half way through.
- Remove from the oven, cool cookies on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.
|Bring the currants and coffee to a simmer then set aside to cool.|
|Carefully melt together the chocolates and butter.|
|Whisk together flour with the other dry ingredients.|
|Beat the eggs and sugar until pale yellow and fluffy.|
|Mix in the vanilla and the chocolate mixture.|
|Fold in the dry ingredients, currants, and chocolate chips.|
|Drop the dough onto prepared baking sheets and bake until just set.|
|Cool, serve, and enjoy!|