These cookies are easy to make using pretty standard techniques. Butter and sugar are creamed together, the liquid ingredients are incorporated and then the solid ingredients. The dough is refrigerated, scooped, rolled into balls (kinda messy), rolled in powdered sugar, then baked. You'll want to plan ahead as you should refrigerate the dough overnight.
Ingredients6 ounces dark chocolate (e.g. Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate)
¾ cup all-purpose flour
⅓ cup cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon table salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup powdered sugar
- Bring the butter to room temperature.
- Break the dark chocolate into small pieces and melt it in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and set aside. If necessary, press the cocoa powder through a fine mesh strainer to remove lumps.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the brown sugar and the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix into fully incorporated.
- Add melted chocolate and mix until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- Add the cocoa mixture and mix until just incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- Transfer the dough to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- With racks in the lower middle and upper middle positions, heat the oven to 350°.
- Using a #60 disher (about 1 tablespoon), scoop the dough and roll it into a ball with your hands.
- Generously coat the ball with powdered sugar, do not remove the excess sugar from the ball, then place the ball on a rimmed baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Space the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until the top is cracked and the center is almost set, switching and rotating the baking sheets after 5 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheets for about 3 minutes until the cookies are firm then transfer them to a rack to cool.
|Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.|
|Carefully melt chocolate.|
|Cream butter and sugar together then mix in the eggs one at a time.|
|Add melted chocolate and stir until combined.|
|Add cocoa powder mixture, stir until combined, then chill the dough overnight.|
|Roll dough into balls, coat liberally with powdered sugar, bake at 350°, cool, and serve.|