Based on a March 2003 recipe from Cook's Illustrated. Prepared for dinner on February 24, 2013. Serves 4.
1 pound medium carrots
½ teaspoon table salt
3 tablespoons sugar
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons lemon juice
ground black pepper
- Peel the carrots and slice them ¼ inch thick on the bias.
- Cut the butter into 4 pieces.
- Add the carrots, salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, and chicken broth to a 12-inch skillet, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and increase the heat to create a rapid simmer. Cook with occasional stirring to reduce the liquid to about 2 tablespoons, about 2 minutes.
- Add butter and 2 tablespoons sugar. Stir and continue to cook until the carrots are tender and coated with the glaze, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon juice and stir until completely combined with the glaze.
- Transfer the carrots to a serving dish, season with pepper, garnish with the almonds, and serve.
|Peel the carrots and cut them on a bias, ¼-inch thick.|
|Assemble your ingredients, clockwise: sliced carrots, sugar, lemon juice, pepper, almonds, butter, salt, chicken stock.|
|Cook the carrots, covered, until almost tender, with salt and sugar in the broth.|
|Reduce the liquid to 2 tablespoons, then add the remaining sugar and butter.|