Based on a May 1997 recipe from Cook's Illustrated. Prepared for dinner on February 24, 2013. Serves 2.
1 rib eye, strip, or sirloin steak, 1 to 1¼ inches thick,
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat a heavy 12-inch skillet on medium heat.
- Pat the steak dry with a paper towel.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to the hot skillet and swirl to evenly coat the bottom.
- Add steak to the skillet, cover it with a splatter screen, and cook until well browned, about 5 minutes.
- Turn steak and cook 3-5 minutes until done. Use an instant read thermometer to to determine doneness.
- Remove the steak from the skillet, let it rest for 5 minutes, and serve.
|Pat the steak dry with a paper towel and season both sides with kosher salt and black pepper. Optionally, rub the steak with garlic before adding the salt and pepper. (Yes, this two-inch steak is too thick for this recipe.)|
|Add oil to a heavy, pre-heated skillet and cook until brown, about 5 minutes.|
|Turn the steak and cook 3-5 minutes until it has reached the desired state of doneness.|